Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Time Flies Even Faster

Wow, it's November already!

My 18 year-old complains on a regular basis that time moves too quickly and she can't quite believe it. Imagine how she'll feel at my age? Not that I'm old. Heck no!

I'm looking forward to Christmas and all that it implies. I love the shopping, the wrapping, the decorating, cutting down and lugging home the tree, baking, visiting, parties, the whole shebang. I particularly enjoy the fact that you can wander around downtown and most people are smiling, talkative, cheerful, and embody that sense of "hustle and bustle" from the classic "Silver Bells". It really is my favorite time of the year.

And, truth be told, it has nothing to do with religion. At least on my part. Sure, people have been "celebrating the birth of Christ" but it's evolved into more than that in this micro world. Religions other than Christian erect trees, decorate their homes and exchange gifts. But it seems to have more to do with appreciating your own family for a change, and hoping for peace and goodwill regardless of religious beliefs.

How often do we take our family members for granted throughout the year? Christmas is my time of the year to think about my family: what gift could I pick for them that they would enjoy? It doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to be thoughtful. I don't think it's all about excess; that is just so much marketing. But, to show your love and appreciation just once, unselfishly, throughout the year is not asking too much. And a wish for peace and goodwill goes with every gift.

Cheers

No comments: